The BeagleBone Black is a low-cost credit-card-sized development platform with good support from a fast growing community. The BeagleBone Black differs slightly from the regular version by providing you with an onboard micro HDMI port, 512MB of DDR3L DRAM, 4GB onboard flash memory, an AM3358 processor at 1GHz, and making JTAG optional with a user supplied header. Ultimately, the BeagleBone Black is still perfect for physical computing and smaller embedded applications.
With plenty of I/O and processing power for real-time analysis provided by the TI Sitara™ AM3358 ARM® Cortex™-A8 processor, BeagleBone Black can be complemented with cape plug-in boards which augment Black’s functionality. They’re called capes because Underdog is a beagle and he wears a cape. Makes sense, right?
At over 3 million Dhrystone operations per second and vector floating point arithmetic operations, BeagleBone Black is capable of not just interfacing to all of your robotics motor drivers, location or pressure sensors and 2D or 3D cameras, but also running OpenCV, OpenNI and other image collection and analysis software to recognize the objects around your robot and the gestures you might make to control it. Through onboard micro HDMI or VGA and LCD expansion boards, it is capable of decoding and displaying multiple video formats utilizing a completely open source software stack and synchronizing playback over Ethernet or USB with other BeagleBoards to create massive video walls. If what you are into is building 3D printers, then BeagleBone Black has the extensive PWM capabilities, the on-chip Ethernet and the 3D rendering and manipulation capabilities all help you eliminate both your underpowered microcontroller-based controller board as well as that PC from your basement.
- Processor: Sitara AM3359AZCZ100 1GHz, 2000 MIPS
- Graphics Engine: SGX530 3D, 20M Polygons/S
- SDRAM Memory: 512MB DDR3L 606MHZ
- Onboard Flash: 2GB, 8bit Embedded MMC
- PMIC: TPS65217C PMIC regulator and one additional LDO.
- Debug Support: Optional Onboard 20-pin CTI JTAG, Serial Header
- Power Source: miniUSB USB or DC Jack, 5VDC External Via Expansion Header
- PCB 3.4” x 2.1” 6 layers
- 88.98mm / 3.5″ x 54.63mm / 2.1″ x 18.84mm / 0.7″
- Indicators 1-Power, 2-Ethernet, 4-User Controllable LEDs
- HiSpeed USB 2.0 Client Port: Access to USB0, Client mode via miniUSB
- HiSpeed USB 2.0 Host Port Access to USB1, Type A Socket, 500mA LS/FS/HS
- Serial Port UART0 access via 6 pin 3.3V TTL Header. Header is populated
- Ethernet 10/100, RJ45
- SD/MMC Connector microSD , 3.3V
- User Input: Reset Button, Boot Button, Power Button
- Video Out: 16b HDMI, 1280×1024 (MAX), 1024×768,1280×720,1440×900 w/EDID Support
- Audio Via HDMI Interface, Stereo
- Expansion Connectors:
- Power 5V, 3.3V , VDD_ADC(1.8V)
- 3.3V I/O on all signals
- McASP0, SPI1, I2C, GPIO(65), LCD, GPMC, MMC1, MMC2, 7 AIN(1.8V MAX), 4 Timers, 3 Serial Ports, CAN0, EHRPWM(0,2),XDMA Interrupt, Power button, Expansion Board ID (Up to 4 can be stacked)
- Weight 1.4 oz (39.80 grams)